WHO: Human infection caused by avian influenza A(H5) – Ecuador
Avian flu infection was detected in a 9-year old girl from Ecuador who came in contact with poultry that died without apparent causes. The infection, caused by the avian influenza A(H5) virus, elicited persistent nausea and vomiting symptoms in the girl which progressed into more serious complications including septic shock. Zoonotic influenza infections have varying effects on individuals, from a complete lack of symptoms to death depending on the individual’s health and the virulence of the disease-causing agent. Those who come in contact with infected poultry should monitor their respiratory symptoms, despite the risk of transmission being low.
To read the full article, click here. For more information on influenza, click here.
Comments are closed.