PRR – Families – Severe Storms
Even before a severe storm hits, families should enter the storm season prepared. Here is a list of things you should know or do before entering the storm season:
- The storm season is usually around September.
- Know all the evacuation routes—especially if you live by the coast
- Have basic tools such as a hammer, saw, and rope.
- Have a first aid kit
- Have a water-proof flashlight with plenty of batteries
- Have plenty of bottled water and non-perishable foods
- If possible, obtain a gasoline / diesel generator
When you are under a hurricane warning, you should do the following immediately:
- Leave low lying areas and proceed to higher grounds
- Secure windows with plywood or storm shutters
- Secure loose objects
- If called to evacuate, do so immediately
- Make sure that there is food and water for each family member for several days
Before the storm, you should:
- Make sure that you have enough food and water.
- Make sure that you have a first aid kit
- Have the house boarded up, or have storm shutters in place
- Pay close attention to your local radio or television
There are several things you need to make sure you do in order to stay safe during a severe storm.These include:
1.Seek shelter,stay inside,and move away from the doors and windows.
2.If situated outdoors,stay away from creeks,drainpipes,waterways and gutters.
3.Prepare yourself for power outages and disconnect all unnnecessary power appliances to avoid receiving an electric shock if your property gets flooded.
4.Don’t play or swim in the floodwater.
5.Avoid fires.Use a flashlight instead of candles.
6.Use the phone only for emergencies.
1.Do not go near fallen electric cables and do not touch anything that is in contact with them.The cables might still be energized.
2.See if your property has suffered damages and contact the insurance company.
3.Watch for weakened roads,trees,bridges,or limbs that could collapse unexpectedly.